Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Eclipse


A couple of weeks ago our second grade teacher took a day off.  Her father is battling pancreatic cancer and it appears his fight is nearing its end.   She wanted to be with her family. It was a Wednesday -- my usual day to TA in the classroom.  I went about my business that morning sorting papers and going down my checklist.  I ran to the main building to drop some things off and when I came back to the classroom the kids were all praying.  This is part of their morning routine and I quietly headed to the back of my classroom to my desk so as not to distract.  As the students started praying for Mrs. B and her father, the sun broke through and created the most beautiful image on the floor.  Three perfect cross silhouettes illuminated on the carpet.  I was touched and in awe of the timing.  Two amazing things about this image:  First, all the windows are plastered with crosses that the kids made in anticipation of Easter; however, only the one with three crosses projected on the floor.  Second, the sun broke through.  In Oregon.  In April.  A miracle in and of itself.  Seriously, though, it touched a nerve deep within me. 

I ran to grab my phone to take a picture.  I wanted to show Mrs. B what had happened while the kids had prayed specifically for her and for her father.  Immediately I stood in front of the image to get a straight on shot.  It disappeared behind my shadow as I eclipsed the sun.  Duh.  I gathered my minimal intelligence and moved to the side and captured the fleeting moment.  As I called the sub and the kids over to see the image it started to fade and distort with the shifting sunlight. That image has not returned since.

We all returned to our seats and resumed our day, but something about that image and the timing of it comforted my soul.  It's tugged at my heart for a couple of weeks and I have reflected on the picture often.  A lot has been going on in our lives these days.  I know so many people that I love that have burdens and sorrows that haunt them.  Regrets.  Sadness.  Bitterness.  Choices.  Selfishness.   There are also those stories that I am aware of, but not personally involved in.   Messes.  So many messy lives.  You know what's funny, though?  We all have messes.  It's our lives.  Our stories.  We all have things that we haven't done quite right.  We all have human tendencies that hurt others and ourselves.  Many also have the things in their  lives beyond control -- accidents, cancer, a cheating spouse,  job losses.  It's life.  It's not perfect and we are so incredibly flawed. 

For those of us who have a relationship with Jesus, we more than welcome him in to clean up our messes and save us from ourselves.  He is an expert at redemption and healing. God sacrificed his son that we might have that relationship with him!  But what I have noticed from so many believers is a tendency to step in front of the savior and take on his role.  How many of us help those in need that appeal to us -- not the unlovely and difficult, but the ones that are easy and not messy.  How many of us sit back and criticize the behavior of others -- using ourselves as a measuring stick for how others should behave?  How many of us gossip?  Judge?  Make assumptions about situations we don't understand?  Are condescending, proud, smug, or cliquish?   I know I've been guilty of all the above at one time or another.   What I have come to realize is that those attitudes don't reflect a heart that has submitted completely to God.  They certainly don't reflect what God expects of us.   In the process of being self serving others aren't seeing Him.  People are stumbling over me.  Are they stumbling over you?

Just think....if we could humble ourselves enough to be real and transparent how much we could serve and comfort each other.  The facade we put up that makes it look like we have our act together doesn't help anyone.    What if we admitted our brokenness and gave credit to our savior for cleaning up our mess?  What if we stepped aside and made all of this about Him and not at all about us?  What if we stopped eclipsing the Son?  Just wondering.....

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!

With love and gratitude....

No comments:

Post a Comment