Friday, February 4, 2011

Humility 101

 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4:29

Julia's teacher had brought to my attention last week that Julia was picking up the habit of exaggerating during their class news time.  This is when the children get to share what is going on in their lives outside of school and she was sharing some pretty interesting stories!  I talked to Julia about it and required her to apologize to the teacher for telling tall tales in class, threatening that if she continued she would have to apologize to the entire class.

I stopped into Mrs. Phillip's class on Thursday to check in and make sure the situation was resolved.  Come to find out, no, she hadn't apologized AND she had told another whopper!  Needless to say I was mortified that my sweet girl was persisting in lying.  Little did I know, I was about to be a lot more embarrassed. 

The following conversation went something like this....

"So, Julia shared in class that you were doing some work at the rental house this weekend and that you got frustrated and were using really bad language.  I brought her up to my desk to talk to her about exaggerating, but she was adamant that it was true." 

At this point I didn't know if I should start laughing or go hide.  "Well..." I sheepishly replied, "no....actually....this time she was telling the truth." 

I was flattered that Mrs. Phillips didn't think I was capable of such a horrible thing and thought that my daughter was telling a fib.  Once again, there is no denying it....I'm a far, far cry from perfect :) A little more tarnish on the ol' reputation!

Well, of course I used "bad" language.  I was at the rental house hanging blinds!  If you have ever hung mini blinds, you have sworn, too.  I'm sure of it.  After a day of doing yard work, and several repairs, I started hanging the blinds.  How hard could it be?  I mean it's just six screws.  After all the things I have figured out how to fix, mounting three brackets in a window and putting in six screws seemed like a cake walk.  Not so much. 

After two hours of dropping screws, dropping brackets, consulting directions written by someone that speaks English as a fifth language, and dropping the drill, I was finally finishing up the fourth of ten blinds I needed to hang.  As I went to pop the blind into place, I listened for that satisfying "click" that indicates that the blind is in place.  Instead, I heard a big twang followed by a clinking sound.  The last metal bracket had broken.  At that point I was done and I was mad.  My shoulder hurt, I was tired, and I was sooooo frustrated.  I uttered a loud "D--n it!"  and stomped into the kitchen.   Now, I have never uttered a true expletive in front of my children.  Despite how mad I was, I shouldn't have done it; however, even I wasn't prepared for the firestorm that ignited.

 Adam was in hysterics.

"Mom!  how could you?  I can't believe you said a swear word!"  This was all screamed at the top of his lungs, followed by lots of tears.  I felt terrible and apologized, asking for forgiveness.  Bad mommy moment #926,845.  Ugh.  I got him calmed down and then apologized to my other kids that were wide eyed, not sure what they should do.  I explained that mom is human and that I was so sorry.  I would try not to ever do it again.  They all forgave me and we packed it in for the day, realizing that unless I wanted to start cussing like a sailor that I should probably NEVER be dumb enough to try hanging mini blinds again.  (Dave was kind enough to rescue me this week and hung the rest of them....much to the relief of my kids.)

I thought that was the end of the story and the whole affair was behind me, but no.  My sweet daughter obviously hadn't forgotten the entire episode and thought it dramatic and worthy of sharing with her friends during news time at school.  Oh, joy.   Nothing like having children to keep you honest and accountable.  I guess every now and again we need a good lesson in humility.  I got mine this week :)

With love and gratitude....

3 comments:

  1. Don't ya just hate learning lessons from your kids...I do. I see them act like me and think...YIKES! What am I turning my kids into? Thanks for the humility you show! It helps to watch others examples of getting it right when we fail. Yeah, Jane!!! You are teaching me a lot!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee Hee! I'm with ya sister, had MANY of those moments myself. Thanks for sharing :+)
    Heather W.

    ReplyDelete