Sunday, January 30, 2011

The January Blur

I can't believe January is almost over.  I can't count the number of times I have sat down to update this site and been either distracted or too tired to think straight enough to write.  Looking back, January flew by.  I knew it was going to be busy, but now that it's over I feel like I've run a marathon.  Looking back on the month, I don't think I'll ever try to cram so much into 31 days.  I know lots of you love to keep busy schedules, but this country girl has missed her quiet days at home. 

So, here is what we have been up to.  First, the kids started back to school in January.  They are doing great, but we sure got spoiled over Christmas break without alarm clocks and lots of homework!  The kids also started at the Dougy Center this month.  This is a support group for kids that are grieving the loss of a loved one.  They all enjoy it, but it makes for long Wednesdays.  Julia and Sophia performed Friday and Saturday at their school in the Alice and Wonderland play.  Both were ballerinas and did a beautiful job -- a fairy and mermaid/butterfly respectively.  The last two weeks have been a bit more hectic with rehearsals and helping out with the show.  I'm glad we did it, though.  All the kids did a great job!  Add in the usual Bible studies, church, chores, and errands...and...well...you get the idea.  There hasn't been much down time or time to just enjoy with family and friends.  My goal for February is to slow down a bit and start focusing back on relationships. 

In addition to the laundry list of items above, the kids and I bought a rental in Sandy.  It was a cosmetic fixer and we have spent our spare moments hanging out there doing repairs and getting it ready to list for rent.  I can't tell you how proud I am of my kids.  While it has been exhausting, we have gotten so much out of working together on this project.  Everything from ripping out carpet, to painting, to yard work.  They haven't missed a beat!  Today we wrapped up the last of the major work.   I have a bit left to do in the way of cleaning up and some minor details to finish, but it should be ready to rent this week.  Now to find the perfect renter!  If you know of anyone that needs a nice house with a generous back yard, please let me know.  While we are hoping that the house will augment our income, we are really hoping the house will be a blessing to someone else, too. 

In addition to my kids, I would like to thank Dave and Karen, Jim Hinkel, my brothers, Jim and Paul, my dad and mom, Jessica, Kris, Brenda, Nathan, Kasie, and Steve and Ruth, for helping me find a suitable place and for helping me fix it up.  If it weren't for all the help I received, I would still have a heap of work left.  These guys all helped with everything from painting and pressure washing to babysitting and bringing in food for my helpers.  Thank you!  Every hour that I had help gave me time back with my kids and some much needed rest.  I am grateful beyond words and look forward to the day I can return the favor!

Well, that about wraps it up for January.  I'm looking forward to spending the last day of the month, kicking around in my slippers and hanging out with my kids. 

With love and gratitude...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update!! You are an amazing woman! We don't know how you keep your sanity in the midst of all this work...well, then again, I think we do! You have an amazing God and this is testimony to that! We love you and pray for you! Matt, Anna and boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed your update Jane, and are praying the Lord will give you the "perfect" renter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doughy Center is a fantastic place for you kids during this time of adjustment. I hope it will be of comfort for you too Jane.
    Many good wishes and prayers for finding the right tenant. I hope they care for the house since you and the kids put so much work and love into it. Pat

    ReplyDelete